Translate

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

AND THE YWAM ADVENTURE BEGINS!!! (Saturday 1st of October, 2011)

I’ve arrived in Newcastle, and I don’t know what to think. It doesn’t even feel real. It feels like it should be another month, or more, away. Even whilst I was at the airport, it did not feel real, as if I was there for someone else’s departure/arrival. Who knew that it was really today that I’d be moving states.

So now I’m in Newcastle. Everyone seems really nice. I left the Brisbane airport (and Ruthie, who saw me off) at 2030 (8.30PM), after a 35 minute delay (caused originally from Melbourne-Brisbane’s flight). My carry on luggage felt bulky and heavy, so it was interesting being one of the last passengers on the plane, and being unable to find any space in the overhead lockers, thus resorting to squishing both handbag and green bag (full of stuff) underneath the chair, hidden with my pillow on top.

I feel like I’ve brought a lot of stuff, however, according to American standards, I’ve brought a small amount (being I only had one checked bag of 19Kg, and most have 2 or 3 checked bags). It’s crazy with the diverse cultures!!!

I sat next to a school teacher, Doug, from Newcastle, and some other guy who just read his e-book the whole time, and correlated facts from each other. It was really interesting, even though I wanted to just sleep, to learn some contacts of people and churches I can check out in Mayfield. He was shocked to know that I was going somewhere where I didn’t know the people, didn’t know the course work, didn’t know what I would be doing or what would be happening, or anything; and with the fact that I didn’t know who, if anybody, would be greeting and meeting me at the airport, I was offered a lift if no one turned up. Whilst I nervous about not really knowing him, it was nice to be offered the lift.

We arrived at the Newcastle Airport, which seems to be only one gate, after what felt like a ten minute flight, arriving at 2150 (9.50 PM). We walked from the plane, around two sides of the terminal, and into a small terminal area. After looking around and not seeing anybody, I grabbed my bag, turned around and saw two of my leaders, Jeremy and Tessa. I also met Jo Stevens, who is staffing ‘All Gen’ with Cookie, who had also come from Brisbane (although I did not know we were on the same flight, at the same time).

We waited for another half hour, for Camillia, who was coming from Canada, and after another twenty minute drive, we arrived at Lewis House (6-8 Highfield St) and boy does it have a history! The architecture is (wow) AMAZING!!! The whole building – kitchen, dining room, lounge, dorm rooms, showers, bathrooms, all loop together… there is no going outside . (I will mention more about the history of Lewis House in later post).

I was taken on a tour of the house, with one stop being the staff room (locally known as ‘The Den’). One of my leaders, Dieuwke, was sitting in the far corner, and got up to give me a MASSIVE hug, when she saw me. It was great. It was what I needed, to feel more welcomed, in such a new place, and I think has made me feel a little more at home.

Becca, one of the base’s registrars, and also one of the daughters of the family I boarded with for the last few months, came and also gave me a hug. It was all so nice.

I’m sharing a room with three other girls, two bunks, two cupboards, and on my bunk (chosen top, next to the window) there was a note, welcoming us and inscribed with a personal message from Dieuwke, with a vision or prayer she had seen from God.

Mine was “When praying for you there was a picture of how God lifted you up from the ground, with nothing touching you. Lightning where[sic] coming out of you, bright & brighter, as God was gently holding you. It changed you, like an old skin falling off and your inner beauty revealed. ‘See, I am doing a new thing’ (Isaiah 43:19)”.

I don’t know what it means, who it’s from and I am a little scared, but it is exciting.

Now I’m ready for bed, but am just staying up (in Room 38, same gate that I boarded) to greet Jessica Blair, who is arriving from Maui, Hawaii, any minute (0100/ 1AM) now. But I think it’s all going to be good. Familial, challenging AND growingly good!



(photos: top and middle - front door of our room, and who I share it with; bottom - our room, before we move in).

No comments:

Post a Comment